The Restoration of the Manor
Harold Brakspear, (1870 – 1934), who received a knighthood for restoring St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle arranged the restoration at Great Chalfield for Robert Fuller. Brakspear’s drawings are lodged in the WSRC in Chippenham.
As a designer of gardens, Alfred Parsons RA, (1847-1920), went into partnership in 1898 with Capt. Walter Croker St-Ives Partridge (1855-1924), as Parsons and Partridge of Newbury, Berkshire. In 1898 they took into the partnership Charles Clement Tudway (1846-1926).Parson’s restorations of old gardens and designs of sympathetic settings for old houses can be appreciated at 15th-century Great Chalfield Manor and at Elizabethan Littlecote House, both in Wiltshire. Alfred Parsons and Walter Partridge also worked on the gardens at Welbeck Abbey, 1899-1905 and at Bryngarw, Glamorganshire.